Thursday, June 24, 2010

Delhi 6: I want my money back…

For those of you who think that this a review which bashes the film; you are bound to be disappointed. It is not. For the others, here we go.

I have had a couple of drinks and I am angry. The laptop is in front of me and I want to type furiously venting out my anger. I was in Pune on Thursday and Delhi-6 was playing in the nearby multiplex..It was a paid preview but it wasn’t Inox and so I did not want to take a chance. You see, I had already booked my tickets at Satyam Chennai for today. You see, the film is important to me, but so is the entire experience of movie watching.

I went with a lot of expectations and the movie did not let me down, but the experience of watching the film was dreadful. Mostly it was a college going crowd, but in terms of behaviour, I suspect they were illiterate. They were booing, did not understand one bit of the film, they were restless and they spoiled the day for me.

I want to ask a few questions to them. Why is a plot so necessary for a film? Did you not understand that this film is about characters? To start with, let us take the character of Ali. When Roshan leaves his mobile phone in the car when he enters the house for the first time, and his mother, Fatima calls him and Ali picks up the phone(to hand it over to Roshan) and he sees the photo of Fatima, did you notice the change in his expression? Later on, when he confides to Roshan that he was in love with Fatima, did you notice that he was uncomfortable and quickly changed the topic to how Roshan’s father loved Fatima against all odds and won her over? The character of Dadi! Why, she is so sure of what she wants. She knows she is dying, she wants to die in Delhi 6. She knows she is dying, she goes shopping for it. And she knows exactly what product she wants. And no, she does not believe in bargaining. “Khush Raho, Lala” is what she says, paying what she thinks is right for the product. And in the beautiful scene where Roshan questions ‘Uparwalah’s haath’ in the scheme of things, she just makes him speechless with her words ” Yeh hamara vishwas hai, beta”. Did you even notice the consistency in her character?

Madan Gopal and Jai Gopal..we do not know why they have fought. We know they have built a wall in between their homes! And what a love-hate relationship they share. When Madan donates Rs.20/-, Jai donates Rs.50/-! When Jai talks about water entry creating a short circuit in a circuit, Madan simply admonishes the logic (His grandson says that the logic is right, even his teacher told him the same thing)Yet in the last scene when Kala Bander makes an appearance, he tells people to carry water to make the beast powerless! And the puja scene where they compete in praising the Lord! Did you not like it?

Bittoo:I know you loved her, you welcomed her entry on screen with Taalis. But I know that those taalis are for Sonam and not for Bittoo. And I know you got disappointed with the amount of screen time she has. But can’t you understand that the Director wanted to treat her character like any other in the film? That the Director did not see her as a heroine? And the remarkable scene inside the Taj Mahal, when Roshan wants to call out her name, but is surrounded by the kids, so he says” Guys, Check this out!” and he shouts “Echo” and then he shouts her name and she laughs!! Have you seen a more romantic scene in the last few months? Or, “Raj..Naam to suna hoga” kind of romantic scenes have made you numb towards real romance?

Kala Bandhar..! Listen, you guys go to college, study lot more complicated stuff..Can you not understand a simple metaphor? There are so many clues throughout the film. Did you not see them?.

Fine..you did not get the film..so you did not enjoy it. May be you like your Silambattams and Villus and Aegans and Padikathavans. Good for you. You like what you like and I do not want to get judgemental about it. But what right do you have to spoil MY show? I loved the film and I have paid money to watch it and I am entitled to watch it in total silence. Why do you have to boo if you are dumb enough not to get a scene? Why do you have to boo when you are dumb enough to think that all good films have a plot? Why do you have to boo when you are dumb enough only to appreciate three act structures?

I hope you grow up and not create a nuisance for others.
I only hope that
‘Baba sab theek kardega, okay?’


Originally posted in www.passionforcinema.com

No comments:

Post a Comment