Thursday, June 24, 2010

And the Best Hindi film of 2008 is

2008 has nothing more to offer and is coming to an in a couple of days..all awards will start, Filmfare, Screen, Zee, Stardust and what not. I want to analyze the Hindi films that impacted me the most! The list below is in no particular order:

Mithya: If not for Anurag Kashyap's post, I would not have even recognized that Mithya's concept is a What if from Don! When the duplicate Don is put in place, faking amnesia, What if he suffers actually from Amnesia?!! The characters were real, believable and the performances were excellent. Mithya was fun all along and completely unpredictable. Great watch!

Jodha Akbar: The scale was huge and so was the ambition of the filmmaker. Jodha Akbar suffered from what, in my opinion, a common mistake committed sometime or the other by all talented filmmakers - overindulgence! But the music, performances and the chemistry between the lead pair salvaged the show. Jodha Akbar was not a film without flaws, but which film is?

Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na: Abbas Tyrewala's debut and I was surprised to note many reviewers chided Abbas for his script. I thought the script was quite clever. The way the Khan brothers and Imran Khan's Nightmare/Dream is integrated into the climax is an example of clever writing. And not to forget ARR's fabulous score. Kabhi Kabhi Aditi, IMO, was the year's best number, but unfortunately the filmmaker did not do justice to it on screen. The performances by the entire cast were superb but special mention must go to Ratna Pathak Shah. She also delivers arguably the best written line in 2008 “ Phone pe Beta, Phone pe!"

Rock On: One of the members of Magik has brain tumour, one of the members' ex happen to be the wife of a rock concert organizer, one of the earlier competitors to Magik eventually becomes the Rock Concert Finale's organizer. Rock on was filled with Cliches. But as a film it worked beautifully. The music, the cinematography, the narrative, the perfect cast all came together and indeed created Magik.

A Wednesday: Some said that the message the film delivered was irresponsible..some said the BGM was too loud. Some said it did not work as a thriller. But A Wednesday worked for me big time. A less than two hour film, edge of the seat narrative, lovely touches by the first-time director(he could have avoided certain RGV cliches like the actor getting threatening calls), an unexpected twist in the climax! but A Wednesday will be remembered for a long time primarily due to the two leading men, Naseeruddin Shah and Anupam Kher.

Dasvidaniya: A concept which could have gone either way..too risky man. If I make a film, I'll play safe and will not choose such a bucket list concept. A Director supremely confident of his craft came out trumps in creating an emotional impact on his audience.

Rab Ne Bana di Jodi: I hated the bike chase, I hated the Sumo wrestling sequence, I hated the word Rab, I hated when finally Rab solved all problems. I came out saying "lousy film, man". Yet after a fortnight, there are many sequences which are staying with me. Suri picking up the rose and keeping it back in the vase as an afterthought; Taani standing with the tray when Suri starts saying she is really sick; Raj talking to the mannequin of Suri; Taani, to overcome her frustrations, keeps doing household chores which have already been done! I did not want to include the film in this list, but I guess the film included itself..power of Rab!!

Ghajini: You know from the promos that it is a revenge saga..even if you missed it, the first scene of the film tells you that Sanjay Singhania's girlfriend is killed. Then when you get introduced to Kalpana and your heart warms up to her, you get this ticklish uneasiness, is she going to be killed? And I think that's why the film is successful. Not because of 8 pack abs, not because of the promos, not because of dumbing down Memento, but because the love story works!

Oye Lucky Lucky Oye: It is irony that the film which has two "Lucky" in its title turned out to be the unluckiest film of 2008. I generally do not buy any Hindi film DVDs because, they are anyway showing all these films in one channel or the other. But I have decided to buy OLLO DVD, not because Dibankar deserved better luck in the Box office, but because I truly believe that this is the best film of 2008.

You may disagree with me! You are welcome to put down your best in the comments. And before anyone trashes me for not including Aamir, have not watched it guys. Was not able to catch in UTV also since I was traveling, hope they show it again in the near future!


Originally posted in www.passionforcinema.com

No comments:

Post a Comment